Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 1: Glendora to Zion

Jackson helping to close an overstuffed suitcase.


"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift."   Albert Einstein


407 miles. 4 states (California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah).

Highlights from Day One on the road:

1) Having to stop at Subway 1/2 mile from home because Mimi was "starving."

2) Spotting the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile on the road somewhere near Barstow.

3) 45 minutes of the "Learn Spanish in Your Car" CD.  "La ducha no funciona" (The shower is not working); "Esta habitación es demasiado caro" (This room is too expensive); "Perdí mi tren" (I missed my train); "Me la policía" (Get me the police).  Great!  Now I can complain in Spanish.  Remind me of these vital phrases if I ever think I want to go to Spain!

4) Speaking of languages, now that I'm practically fluent in Spanish, I translated for a woman in French at a rest stop.  It went something like this:  Her: "Y a-t-il quelqu'un qui parle français?" (Does anyone speak French?).  Me: "Je parle un peu" (I speak a little bit).  Her: "Bon soir"  (Good evening).  "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Blah, blah.  Blah, blah, Restaurant Oscar?"  Me: (Looking 50 yards away at Oscar's Cafe)  "C'est la" (It's there).  Her, very effusively: "Merci beaucoup, Madame!"  Me:  "Voila!"

5) Exchange with host at the restaurant at Zion Lodge:  Him: "Would you like to eat inside or outside?"  Us: "Outside would be great."  Him (without looking down or missing a beat): "I'm sorry, we don't have any tables outside.  You must eat inside."

So here we are in our little cabin at Zion Lodge.  It was advertised as "rustic," which is often a euphemism for run-down, but it's really very nice.  Cozy and roomy with a great view and a fireplace. I've never been to Zion before -- the scenery is spectacular!  Tomorrow we're heading out on a hike.  Pray these rotten knees can handle it!

1 comment:

  1. I may be the only one commenting but I don't care-- I'm a proud blog stalker! :) I'm glad your first day went well and I'm loving that fireplace! Good luck with that hike :) The girls are taking Jackson on his walk today. <3 Amy

    ReplyDelete