Friday, June 29, 2012

Day 18: Homeward Bound!

Oh California I'm coming home
Oh make me feel good rock 'n' roll band
I'm your biggest fan
California I'm coming home

Joni Mitchell

376 miles
3 states today (New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York)
16th total states so far!

We've left this half of the trip almost entirely unplanned.  I have the same travel philosophy as my golf philosophy: if every shot (day driving) is closer to the hole (California) than when we started, it's a good day on the course (road).

We had a nice farewell breakfast at the Wentworth with Kelly, and then hit the road.  We know we were going to head across Massachusetts and upstate New York, but had (have) no plans beyond that.  It turned out to be a really interesting travel day.

Once again, the scenery across so much of the country is beautiful.  I didn't expect the gorgeous views through the Berkshires, and so much of New York.  We started off on the Interstate -- nice enough, although the rest stop was pretty scary.  We were going to grab a bite to eat, but when we got there we changed our minds (Mimi described it as being like a food court at the DMV.  Enough said?)
As we drove along, we saw the sign for Cooperstown, and decided to take a detour.  We went to the Baseball Hall of Fame -- fascinating!
These were My Dodgers.  "Oh them D, Oh them D-O"

Driving today was a little crazy.  First, on a scenic byway roadway, a flock of geese ran out in front of my car.  I used some deft maneuvers to try to avoid killing the geese while avoiding being killed by the tailgater behind me!  Success (I think -- I didn't hear a squawk, feel a bump, or find any telltale feathers!).  Then, on the same road, we came over a hill to find an Amish buggy and horse headed right for us.  In 36 years of driving, I've never experienced either!

No comments:

Post a Comment