Monday, June 23, 2014

Operation Cycle Tuscany: Day 9 -- The Last Ride

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”                                                                                                                           ― Ernest Hemingway

The whole gang getting ready for the final ride
Hard to believe this day is here.  We've been dreaming and planning and training and anticipating this for months, and it's almost over.  Today was our last cycling day.  It was an "easy" day (amazing how relative that has become over the course of the week!): only 16.4 miles.  We rode over rolling hills through more beautiful country today -- farms, and olive trees, and more sunflowers -- to a pretty seaside town, Castiglione della Pescaia.  We strolled through the town, ate fantastic pizza at a beachfront restaurant, and enjoyed one another's company for one more day.

















Then we went back to the Agriturisma for a nap (the first of the trip!  I'm a napper from way back, and can't believe how full each day has been) and then some relaxing time by the pool with our fellow travelers.  The belly flop contest below will give you an idea of the fun times we've experienced and the wonderful people we've met this week!



Some musings on the week of riding and traveling:

  • It's pretty hard to have a bad meal in Italy
  • I don't know if we've had a fair representation, but these are the hardest beds and flattest pillows I've ever laid my weary body on
  • Every day of riding went something like this:  Look at the beautiful countryside; This is NOT a rolling hill;  Oh my God, I am not having fun; I think I might die right here beside the road; Is that the top of the hill?; (Upon reaching the top) I made it; Look at the beautiful countryside; I love this ride; I'm having so much fun; (Back up) This is NOT a rolling hill; Oh my God, I am not having fun; I think I might die right here beside the road; Is that the top of the hill?...
  • When in doubt, if you're a picky eater, choose the vegetarian meal (I avoided venison and boar by this smart move)
  • I can do a lot of things I never thought I'd be able to do
  • The only difference between Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and a cab ride in Italy is that the obstacles on the cab ride are real people and vehicles, not cardboard
  • Despite my aches and pains, I'm proud of what my body did this week
  • Having a little boy shout, "Buongiorno" as I ride by makes almost all the pain go away
  • I really enjoy gelato
  • The cycling is of minimal importance, the traveling and seeing the country is of moderate importance, the interactions with people and the relationships formed is of utmost importance.


No comments:

Post a Comment